Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ta-ta naptime!

I need some help. Is three and a half years time to give up a nap? Please sweet Jesus tell me no.

Bram takes a nap at home beautifully, but he isn't napping at school. No problem. Well, not a problem for me since I am enjoying peace and quiet at home.

Bram has never had a problem with going to bed. Read him his not one, not two, but three books, say prayers (making sure everyone that he has ever had contact with is listed), show him his class picture and let him name off every single one of his buddies, and then you have a boy ready for some shut eye. 8 pm. No problemo.

Until recently. Crap.

Last night we went through his nighttime routine, lights out at 8. Hubby and I sat on the couch with a fire in the fireplace watching the ever romantic A&E "Intervention" thinking our night was winding down.

Wrong.

Two hours later, no kidding TWO HOURS, Bram comes waltzing out of his room wearing swim trunks, a super heros t-shirt (size 2t), Elmo light up shoes (size 8, he is a 10), and Batman sunglasses.

It was really a great look, especially when it is 26 degrees outside. Really it was. The dude was in his room very quietly playing Mr. Fashion Plate. FOR TWO HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I marched him back to his room and got him dressed in appropriate sleeping gear, and then I looked around his room. Everything in his closet that was bagged up to go to Goodwill had obviously been tried on and then tossed aside. He had even tried to set up a little tent that was in his closet, but that wasn't a success. Bram just wasn't tired at 8. Or at 9. Or 10.

So does this mean naps are over? I would much rather he give up the nap and have him go to bed at a normal time. Though I will very much miss his naps. A great deal.

But when do kids give up naps?

Bye-bye nap, I am sorry to see you disappearing from our lives.

9 comments:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

As I recall, between three and four years was about the time my kids gave up naps. They would lie down at preschool like the other kids did but we could forget it at home!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I feel your pain. We were on web MD last night finding out what the deal was with the sleeping. We too, haven't had sleeping trouble until recently. Now we go through spurts where she sleeps or not sleeps. We were also up until 11 trying to get calmed down for sleep. We didn't nap ALL weekend and we also pull out all things we can get our hands on including swim diapers and play. By we I mean, Mackenzie the amazingly never tired 3 year old. According to Web MD a lot of others in the world have it way worse and the baby doctor says naps until kindergarten. Whatever! We can pray for one another.....

Debz said...

That would be a lot of memory searching for me, but it seems kind of early from what I do remember. I thought I remember my boys napping until they started high school. I mean Kindergarten.
Good luck with the swim trunk wearin super hero "Aqua Bram".

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Caden is still growing strong with naps at school. Apparently, he's the first one down. It's harder for us to get naps at home on the weekends. He's a May of 05 kid.

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Did he take a nap yesterday? Or not? If he took a nap then his naps are too long. You might want to wake him up so he isn't fully rested. That way he "should" go down at 8. Olivia cut her nap out at about 3 but each kid is different. She can still fall asleep in the late afternoon after a day at school. I would NEVER let her get in a 2 hour nap, though! That's just asking for trouble...

Lisa said...

Mine gave up their naps at three and a half and two. Yep, two.

morewineplease said...

Diva is 3.5 and still naps.. but it will be soon. Drama Queen stopped around 4...

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh that is too cute with the outfit. My little guy always took naps and then I just took his que when he didn't want to lay down anymore. Sure, he would sack out at 4 or 5 on the weekend for a little bit but now he is just never tired at that time. I think he gave them up about 3 1/2 as well. Good luck girl!

michelle matthews said...

It seems like Tate stopped napping around 3 1/2 or 4?
I can't believe he was in there playing like that for 2 hours. Love the outfit he strolled out in! He is so funny!